Important AV Information:
All PowerPoint Presentations must be in 16:9 (widescreen).
2020 SIC Speaker Guidelines
2020 SIC AV Specs
Download PPT Template
Grant Writing Session – Sunday, February 2, 2020
Please find all registrant submitted Specific Aims Pages here. Assignments have been emailed out to all faculty.
For any questions on assignments, please email [email protected].
Mock Study Section – Monday, February 3, 2020
Grant A – R (Basic Science – Groups 1, 2, 3, 4)
Grant B – K (Basic Science – Groups 1, 2, 3, 4)
Grant C – R (Clinical/HSR – Groups 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10)
Grant D – K (Clinical/HSR – Groups 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10)
R Scoring Sheet
K Scoring Sheet
NIH Scoring Guidelines
The goal of the mock study section session is to teach participants how grants are evaluated. Various grants have been selected, some of which have been funded and others that have not been, to be used in this exercise. These will be provided to all course attendees for the mock study section, along with the templates for scoring and scoring guidelines. Course participants will be assigned as primary, secondary and tertiary discussants of these grants.
This year to help set up the Study Section, one faculty member will start off the study section as the primary reviewer on the first grant. Course participants will then be assigned the roles of primary (second grant only), secondary and tertiary discussants of these grants. The other faculty in the group will act as the chairs of the study section and facilitate the review process. Prior to the course, please discuss with the other faculty (copied on this email) to decide who will serve as the main chair of the study section for each grant. The goal is to have this really simulate a study section, so having a designated chair is key. When not leading the study section, other faculty should act as members of the study section and participate in the discussion, asking questions of the primary reviewers to ensure the salient points are discussed throughout the workshop.
It is expected that the course participants carefully read and evaluate the grants assigned to them according to the template and scoring guidelines given to them.
During the study section, the chair will lead the discussion using a format similar to what is used in actual study sections:
- The chair will ask for preliminary overall impact scores from the primary, secondary and tertiary reviewers.
- The primary reviewer will a give concise summary of the proposal and highlight its major strengths and weaknesses.
- The secondary reviewer will then briefly point out areas of agreement and disagreement with the primary reviewer, and discuss additional strengths and weaknesses.
- The tertiary reviewer(s) will briefly point out additional strengths and weaknesses not covered by the first two reviewers.
- The chair will ask the primary reviewer whether appropriate protections are in place for animals and human subjects as indicated.
- The chair will then open the floor for discussion by other group members.
- The primary, secondary, and tertiary reviewers will then state their final overall impact scores.